The Trawler Boys
Ground Address: Crown Meadow, Love Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk. NR32 2PA
To get a route to the ground type your postcode into the box below.
Lowestoft Town have a fine history stretching back well over 100 years. The club is first recorded as East Suffolk F C with games, all friendlies in those days, recorded back in 1884. On merging with the original Kirkley club the title of Lowestoft was adopted in 1887 with 'Town' added in 1890.
When the Norfolk & Suffolk League was formed in 1897, providing the first inter-county competitive matches, Lowestoft dominated, winning the title 6 times in the first 7 years. The 'odd' season out 1899-1900 saw Lowestoft's attentions turn to the F Amateur Cup with victories over such famous names as Leytonstone (9-0) and Great Marlow (1-0) on the way to the final that brought a 1-5 defeat by Bishop Auckland at Leicester.
In 1904 Lowestoft had to appear before a F A Commission to answer charges of professionalism after a testimonial had raised just under £5 for player Fred Timoney who was about to emigrate. Norwich City who had 'poached' four of Lowestoft's successful side amongst others were also called before the commission. Whilst City accepted the ruling and formally adopted professionalism to start on the road that has seen them up amongst the top clubs in the country, Lowestoft paid a restitution of two guineas to regain amateur status.
Lowestoft were not to see the same degree of sustained success during the remainder of their stay in the Norfolk & Suffolk League. In 1925 came the decision to adopt the blue and white colours that have served them so well since.
Lowestoft became founder members of the Eastern Counties League in 1935 but before starting out on this new challenge once again merged with local rivals Kirkley. The move proved a wise one with the first season seeing them sharing the title with Harwich & Parkston and then winning it outright 2 years later.
Lowestoft, who with Great Yarmouth were the only sides with unbroken membership of the Eastern Counties League, took the bold step of becoming semi-professional in 1962. Seven ECL titles and twice runners up in the following 9 seasons is clear testimony to the manner in which they dominated in those years.
The ECL title was again won in 1977/8. The 1980s saw a decline in the club's fortunes as crowds and income dropped. The unique club pavilion, originally the Yacht Club before being taken down and moved from the harbour to the Crown Meadow in 1902, was gradually falling into disrepair and the floodlighting system installed in 1964 was coming to the end of its lifespan. The floodlights were updated in 1986; the new dressing room complex occupied in 1989, and at last, attention could be paid to playing matters.
As playing fortunes declined a 19-year-old local lad signed for the club in 1980 who was to figure prominently in the affairs of the club for the next 20 and hopefully many more years. Micky Chapman soon became a favourite with his all action style, eye for the goal, long flowing hair and a genuine desire to bring success back to the club. Five 'Player of the Year' trophies adorn his display cabinet as testimony to the respect he has earned from supporters and players alike.
Whilst many of his colleagues were lured away by financial rewards, Micky remained loyal to his hometown club turning down many lucrative offers to move elsewhere. The 1990s saw Micky progress from captain to assistant manager and finally manager in 1994.
A persistent back injury forced Mick to hang up his boots in 1997 allowing him to concentrate fully on the managerial side. With the unwavering support of successive chairmen Mick had been able to improve the side year by year.
After several years in the doldrums the 21st century has seen Micky team up with Ady Gallagher to bring a return to trophy winning days with the Ridgeons League title won twice, the League Cup collected twice and the Suffolk Premier Cup brought back to the Meadow five times. The culmination of all that recent success came in May 2008 when joint managers Micky Chapman and Ady Gallagher proudly led their squad out onto the hallowed Wembley pitch in the FA Carlsberg Vase final. On a blazing hot Sunday afternoon in front of over 14,000 Lowestoft supporters, the Blues were in the lead for three quarters of the game before conceding a last minute goal to lose out to Kirkham & Wesham by the odd goal of three.
Season 2008-2009 saw the first team win a League and County Cup double, as well as reach the semi-final of the FA Carlsberg Vase and the season ended with promotion to the Ryman League Division One North and Step 4 football for the first time in the club's history.
Success continued unabated in 2009/10 with back-to-back promotions seeing the Blues soar to the Ryman Premier Division at the first attempt achieving a century of points and goals for the second consecutive season. An excellent FA Cup run saw the first round proper reached with the run ended at Wrexham by a cruel deflected goal in the final minutes.
With success on the field seeing attendances continue to soar and backed by a thriving youth set up the future looks exciting for all connected with the club. Current main sponsors Petrogramme came on board at the start of 2008/9 and their support together with their sales and marketing expertise have been a major boost to the club.